Sunday 28 July 2013

Haiku Challenge

Haiku is a Japanese short poetry form, consisting of 17 'on' or 'morae' in phrases of 5, 7 & 5, although they are written in one line in Japanese. 'On' are not syllables but the conversion to English has brought about an accepted format of 3 lines, 17 syllables. It is something I have only recently discovered, thanx to Twitter, but I am fast becoming addicted to the daily #HaikuChallenge set by @baffled, whereby the task is to produce a haiku containing one specific word. I love the discipline of having to stay within the constraints of the 5, 7, 5 format, just as I love the challenge of only 140 characters max for a tweet.

So I'd like to share with you some of my favourites (which have all made it into the 'top tweets' list - maybe I'm the only one doing the challenge on a daily basis):-

This first one is my latest offering, using the word 'gone'

Slowly it descends
Falling from the evening skies
Final glimpse, then gone


Dream of stars above

Fleeting kiss, forbidden love

Gone not forgotten





And 2 more, the challenge being to use the word 'fragile':-
So it was over

The fragile chains that bound them

Broken forever

Sweet tender first kiss

Fragile as gossamer wings

Never forgotten

No comments:

Post a Comment